Since our house is on the market and our soil doesn’t grow veggies very well (or perhaps I don’t tend garden well enough??) I decided to plant some tomatoes and herbs on the porch. I had planned to do lettuce too, but after I was given some extra tomato plants I decided to plant those instead of the lettuce. I didn’t have enough boxes for both. Here are some pictures… as you can see mybasil looks very sad, tho 1/2 of it rallied w/ good sunshine yesterday!
So I’ve been doing WW for a while now… and they say slow & steady wins the race, but I’d like to see faster results. But today is a reason to celebrate. I hit 10%!! In WW world that is a big deal! I’ve lost 22 lbs since January. I didn’t start WW until April and have lost 11 lbs since then. I’m pretty pleased, tho I wish it were faster… I still have 21.5 lbs to go tho… So I guess I’ve also hit my 1/2 way mark. Also… I’ve lost all my last pregnancy weight + 1 lb… So that’s another reason to celebrate.
We received the bill for the well this morning. I have to admit I was a bundle of nerves opening it up… half of me didn’t want to know & half of me just wanted it over with. Praise the Lord it didn’t go over $4000!!! It was still more than *I* wanted it to be at the beginning, but it was only $10 more than I figured it out once the man who drilled the well gave me the figures. And thanks to Dave Ramsey’s program and the Lord’s leading we can actually pay cash for it. It will completely wipe us out… but we can pay it. Yay!
Other Random Topics:
- My basil is so sad looking. I can’t figure out what to do with it… so I moved it into full sun in hopes that will help. I read up on it a bit more last night and found it likes well drained soil… I don’t think the box it’s in has well drained soil, so I need to figure out what to do about that.
- We got all summery yesterday and set up the kiddie pool. The kids had a blast in it and I actually took a few minutes to relax and read while they were playing in it.
- I’m reading Clara’s War right now. It’s the true story of a young girl/teen who survived the German Occupation in Poland. I’m only in chapter 3 and I have to admit I’m highly disturbed by the evil that is present in the Russians and the Nazis. It’s hard for me to believe that anyone can be as evil as they were … and sad to think that this was only 70 or so years ago. I know people say that the wars today are just as bad… and they probably are, but the seeming disregard for human life to the point that is described in this book it horrific. I cannot even bring myself to type them…. yet people lived through this. It’s no wonder that the men who fought over there and the people who lived through it rarely talked about it. It’d be easier to just try to put it from your mind, yet I don’t think they ever could.
I was so grumpy today. It didn’t help that Alyssa is super fussy today as well, but *I* was most likely the grumpiest of us all. I don’t even really know why…. and I hate it when that happens. I needed to change it, so I brought everyone outside and started to plant a flowerbed out in the back yard. It’s pretty… it’s looking good… unfortunately Alyssa started screaming about 10 mins before I finished. Yes, I’ll admit… I finished and sang to her over her crying, hoping to calm her down.
It didn’t help much. I was hoping it does. Gardening usually lifts my spirits a bit…. but I think w/ Alyssa crying and me feeling rushed and harried at the end it just didn’t do the trick.
Maybe a large bowl of ice cream will tonight…. (And yes… I do have the points, Rachael!! lol! )
Alyssa slept through the night last night. I’m pretty sure it was a fluke, though. We were at my Moms until very late and she was so exhausted. She slept from about 10:30 until around 5 am! That’s 7.5 hrs and the very first time she’s done that. Needless to say I was shocked. I woke up around 2:30… her usual waking time… and then dozed off until 3:15. And then I was worried… I worried that she was ok (cause she was verrry fussy going down which isn’t like her either) So I tossed and turned and worried… then scrouged around for the monitor and listened to her breathing and realized she was just fine. LOL! Funny how we mamas can’t wait for them to sleep through and then spend all that time worrying when they do!
In other news:
- The well is complete and most of the mess cleaned up. Yay!
- Matt was offered an evening job by one place and a weekend job by another and decided to take both on top of his current job. They are only temporary, but will help rebuild our ‘emergency fund’ that the well just wiped out. *sigh* I’m going to be “single mom” for a while… but I feel worse for Matt because that’s a whole lot of working for one guy.
- No one has come to see the house yet. I’m a little torn on that… part of me is relieved and part of me is disappointed, but all of me is trusting God that it’s in HIS timing.
I never really believed parents who said their babies talked at 7-8 months or younger. I thought they were just being ‘proud parents” & hearing what they wanted to hear. That is until Alyssa started “talking”. She says the normal “mama” and “dada” at the appropriate times. But she also says “Yaaa” when clapping her hands & “Uh-oh” when something drops or when prompted. And tonight our dog, Shelby, barked & immediately after Alyssa made the same noises! She’s such a mimic lately! So cute!!
My head is ringing… it’s so noisy in here right now. We’re getting a new well drilled today and the truck is SO noisy as it’s drilling right outside my kitchen window. I want to know how it’s going… how much it’s going to cost, really. I don’t want to interrupt them tho… *sigh*
Dinner is a semi-experiment. Sauteed mixed veggies (asparagus, carrots, onions, peppers) w/ brown rice & chicken “fried” w/ it. Then I wanted to make a sweet and sour sauce, but couldn’t find all the ingredients, so I whipped up my own something. Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce, white vinegar, white sugar (cause I ran out of brown! *doh* ) and some water. Mised it to good consistency and then threw it in while the rice and veggies were “frying”. (I say “fried” because there’s no oil at all… I had no olive oil and vegetable oil would just ruin it, so I’m frying in my electric skillet)
We’ll see how it tastes…